If you've purchased Matouk linens for your home, congratulations. Perhaps you’ve treated yourself to a set of thirsty, lightweight Milagro towels and bath rugs woven from Egyptian cotton. Or maybe you’ve leveled up your bedroom with a set of crisp Essex percale sheets in white with signature dual tone embroidered trim. Or possibly you’ve invested in a stunning Rubia or Citrus Garden tablecloth in an iconic pattern revived by Matouk in partnership with Schumacher.
Inside this Article:
When it comes to the finest in European and domestic luxury linen, Matouk represents the best of the best. From the finest raw materials on Earth to singular design, manufacturing and craftsmanship, Matouk is synonymous with elegance, innovation, and style in luxury linens
At Fine Linen and Bath, we carry a wide selection of Matouk linen, and love helping our clients find the perfect pieces to style their bedrooms, baths, and dining spaces. Just as important, we want them to derive long-term enjoyment from every Matouk purchase. That means knowing how to properly care for Matouk linens to ensure they endure in beauty and performance for years to come.
Read on for our guidelines on Matouk luxury linens product care.
Seven Smart Tips for Washing Your Matouk Sheets, Towels, and Table Linen
- Always read the care label before doing any type of wash or stain removal.
- Wash towels, bedding, and even table linen before using.
- Sort by color and weight. A Milagro bath towel, for example, is lighter weight than a Lotus towel; they should be washed separately for maximum efficiency.
- Don’t overload your machine.
- Choose the proper detergent. We recommend a pH-neutral detergent made to clean and care for luxury linen like Heritage Park All-Purpose Laundry Detergent. It is plant based and contains natural enzymes to break down tough stains while preserving the integrity of the fabric.
- Avoid other damaging products including chlorine bleach (unless care labels specifically say it is okay) as well as liquid fabric softener and dryer sheets (these are unnecessary and leave a waxy build-up fabric which is particularly bad for the absorbency of towels). Use wool dryer balls to soften and speed drying time.
- In all cases, less heat is better. Use the lowest heat and least time necessary in the dryer. Iron only when needed and on the lowest setting that works.
How to Care for Matouk Towels
As we noted above, you should wash and dry your Matouk towels before using. This is important, because that first wash removes any residue from the towel finishing process that might be lingering on the towel. Your Matouk bath towels will become softer and more absorbent over time.
- Wash your towels in their own load using the Delicate and Warm Water settings on your washing machine.
- Once laundered, shake and place your towels into the dryer on the Warm/Delicate setting.
- Add wool dryer balls; if you want a light scent, you can even add a few drops of essential oil.
- Dry towels completely to prevent any lingering moisture, but do NOT overdry which can damage the fiber.
- Store your towels in a clean, dry space.
- If you see any pulls or snags, use a small scissors to snip the pulled thread so it is even with the rest.
- If, over time, your towels lose their freshness, feel, and absorbency, this is likely due to build-up from hard water. You can remove this and restore your towels’ absorbency by washing in warm water with a cup of distilled white vinegar (no detergent) to strip build-up. Then run again in warm water with a half-cup of baking soda to remove odors. Shake towels out before putting in the dryer. Dry as usual.
Caring for Matouk Bed Linen
The superior quality and enduring beauty of Matouk’s collection of sheets, pillow shams, and duvet covers has earned a reputation among discerning clients and interior decorators alike. Caring for your Matouk bedding is quite simple if you follow some general guidance. Your sheets will grow softer and more comfortable with repeated washings.
- Wash your Matouk sheets in a separate load. A flat sheet, a fitted sheet, and shams may fill the machine; if this is the case, wash your comforter cover separately. We recommend washing all items in your bedding “set” at the same time for consistent wear.
- We recommend placing sheets in fine mesh laundry bags to protect any embroidery, particularly if your machine has an agitator.
- Pre-treat any stains with either an enzyme stain remover or a concentrated solution of enzyme detergent like Heritage Park All-Purpose Laundry Detergent (Click here for special guidance on removing blood stains from bedding).
- Use the minimal amount of detergent necessary and wash in cool to warm water on a gentle cycle.
- Shake out your sheets before drying and use moderate heat.
- Iron with a cool iron from the “reverse” side of any embroidery or embellishment. You can also smooth out any wrinkles as you make the bed.
- Store your sheets in a cool, dry cupboard.
- If you adore the style (and we’re guessing you do!) think about buying a second set and rotating them regularly. Click here for a comparison between Matouk Essex and Matouk Luca, two popular styles of percale sheeting and here to learn more about the Matouk Schumacher bedding collection.
Caring for Matouk Table Linen
Whether it’s the elegant solid colors of Chamant or an intriguing Schumacher print brought to new life, Matouk table linen is the perfect backdrop for making memories around the table. Fortunately, these textiles, which are made of pure linen or a forgiving linen blend, are washable.
- Treat stains immediately before they have time to set; here is a guide to removing common stains.
- An enzyme detergent like Heritage Park All Purpose Laundry Detergent is definitely the best choice for washing stained linen. Most stains are protein based, and enzyme detergents contain natural compounds that dissolve these stains Click here to learn more about how enzymes break down and remove tough stains.
- Machine wash in cool water on a gentle cycle.
- Tumble dry on low heat.
- Iron while still damp.
Call Us With Any Questions or Concerns
These guidelines should help you successfully clean and care for your Matouk luxury linen. However, if you have any questions or concerns, including about removing specific stains, please feel free to contact us at (866) 352-4522 for guidance. We are here to help!
About Matouk Luxury Linens
For nearly 100 years, Matouk has handcrafted luxury linens from the world's finest materials. Matouk's factory in Fall River, Massachusetts is a family business, home to a tight-knit group of artists, craftspeople, and business professionals who are uniquely attuned to the needs of American consumers.
Matouk has earned the loyalty of generations of fine linen customers. As a favorite among discerning clients, interior designers, and hotel and estate managers around the world, the brand has built a well-deserved reputation for the highest quality bedding, bath linens, table linens, and decorative accessories.
Matouk sheets and bedding are known to be crafted from the finest fabric, woven in Italy from Egyptian cotton. Matouk cotton beach and bath towels and beach collection redefine luxury, quality, comfort and performance. Request a fabric swatch and discover for yourself why the Matouk name is a legend in luxury linen.