With proper care, your SFERRA bed, table, and bath linen will last and stay beautiful over time. This article offers important tips for SFERRA linen care.
How to Care for SFERRA Luxury Linens
Congratulations on your purchase of elegant home linens from SFERRA. Whether you've treated yourself to fine percale or sateen luxury bedding, stunning table linens, or indulgently thirsty bath towels, you know that SFERRA home linen represents legendary quality and superior craftsmanship. And, naturally, you want to take the very best care of your new linen. But you don't need to figure it out alone: Fine Linen and Bath is here with this detailed guide to caring for your SFERRA luxury linens. Read on to learn more.
SFERRA Luxury Linen Care: The Fundamentals
No matter what style of SFERRA linen you're caring for, following a few fundamentals will set you on the road to success.
- Always read the care label on your SFERRA items before you attempt to wash or clean them.
- Launder your SFERRA linens before using.
- Don't overload your machine, as this can cause damage to fabric and inefficient cleaning.
- Most important: choose the proper detergent. You'll want to select a mild detergent that is formulated to clean and remove stains while being gentle on luxury fabric. We recommend Heritage Park All-Purpose Laundry Detergent. This concentrated, pH-neutral formula is made with all-natural ingredients, including a proprietary blend of enzymes designed to break down stains while caring for fine fabric and protecting natural fibers. The fragrance-free variety is also hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested. All Heritage Park detergents are Leaping Bunny certified as cruelty-free.
- Don't pour the detergent directly onto textiles. If your washing machine allows, dissolve the detergent in water and then add your linens.
- NEVER use chlorine bleach, which can strip color and damage fabric. If you are washing an unembellished white item and bleach is permitted, use only oxygen bleach (powder).
- NEVER use fabric softener or dryer sheets. These leave a waxy residue on fabric and inside machines. They are particularly damaging to towels, as the coating can build up; this damages the look, feel, and absorbency of luxury bath linen.
- Never iron SFERRA towels. See below for more ironing guidance.
- Store your home linen in a cool, dry place and regularly rotate it to ensure consistent wear.
How to Care for SFERRA Sheets and Bed Linen
Most SFERRA percale and sateen sheets and bed linen are fine to machine wash. For best results, follow these care instructions.
- Sort sheets into light and dark colors. Wash matching linens together (e.g., sheets and pillowcases or shams and duvet cover), as each piece of a set should be cared for similarly regardless of whether or not it is soiled (or even used) to help maintain color consistency and brightness. Many people sleep on top of a fitted sheet and directly under a comforter or duvet; unless your bed linen is white, you should wash the flat sheet as well to keep consistent color and wear.
- Don't launder fine linen with your mattress pad; bath towels; items containing polyester; items made of heavy materials; or items with rivets, buttons, zippers, or other adornments. These can damage cotton fibers and fabric.
- Pre-treat stains prior to washing with an enzyme stain remover or pre-soak.
- Any sheets with lace or embellishments should be laundered inside a fine mesh laundry bag to protect them in the machine.
- Use a minimal amount of detergent; cool to warm; and a regular to gentle cycle (if items aren't clean, you can gradually increase cycle strength and water temperature). Learn more about washing machine cycles here.
- Shake sheets when removing from the washer. Tumble dry on low heat or hang to dry out of direct sunlight.
How To Care for SFERRA Table Linen
Caring for SFERRA table linen is quite similar to caring for sheets and bed linens.
- Sort your items. Wash your SFERRA table linen in a “table linen only” load with all matching items together to ensure consistent wear.
- Pre-treat any stains as soon as they occur. Read more about removing food stains here.
- Wash your SFERRA linens in warm or cool water on a regular cycle (delicate if specified).
- Any table linens with embroidery, lace, or detailed finish should be laundered in a mesh laundry bag.
- Shake out tablecloths to untwist when removing from the dryer. Tumble dry low or lay flat to dry; we recommend laying any table or cocktail napkin flat to prevent shrinkage.
How to Iron SFERRA Bedding and Table Linen
SFERRA Egyptian cotton bedding and table linen can be ironed with a cool steam iron, preferably from the reverse side. For best results, we suggest using a steam iron on a low setting and working with slightly damp linens (again, only the care guidelines permit ironing).
How to Care for SFERRA Bath Towels
Maintaining the look, feel, and absorbency of your SFERRA bath towels is your goal. Follow these care instructions to enjoy these indulgent towels and bath accessories for a long time.
- Sort your towels, bath mat, and even robe by color and by weight. You want to wash items of a similar weight together to keep the machine balanced and ensure thorough cleaning.
- Machine wash your SFERRA towels in cool or cold water to help color stay bright and extend the life of the fibers (warmer water is okay for cleaning white or light towels). Never dry clean your SFERRA towels.
- Wash your towels in a towel-only load, with no other items. Rough and abrasive objects like snaps, buttons and zippers can damage towels. Even a bath rug can wear down your towel in a vigorous wash.
- Give towels a gentle shake when you remove them from the washer to fluff the fibers.
- Dry your towels on medium heat and never over-dry them. Too much heat is not good for your SFERRA towels. If you want to speed drying time, consider using a set of organic wool dryer balls, which soften and separate towels for quicker drying.
- Lastly, even luxury towels can lose a bit of luster due to build-up. This is from minerals in hard water. Click here to learn how to easily restore your towels to maximum softness and absorbency.
We hope these guidelines give you a good sense of how to care for your SFERRA luxury home linen. Of course, the design team at Fine Linen and Bath is always available to answer any care questions or resolve concerns. Feel free to reach out by phone or email. We look forward to assisting you!
For more than 125 years, SFERRA has been known for creating the finest luxury home and bed linen in the world. By holding true to its standards since its founding in 1891, SFERRA fulfills its commitment to fine tailoring, impeccable craftsmanship and unparalleled innovation in all of its products: sheets, towels, duvets, decorative pillow options, table linen, and more. The master weavers who make SFERRA linens are artisans who carry on a rich tradition that has been honed and perfected over centuries. The result of their efforts? Sheets, duvets, pillowcases, shams, towels, table linens, and napkins known as the finest on earth. SFERRA linens are legendary for luxury, design, and timeless style. SFERRA is one of our most popular brands; see our SFERRA brand page for additional information and to shop all related products.